Hi journal. I thought you'd like to know what happened to me the day my daughter was born.

on July 8th at 10:45 pm, my water broke for good. I had had a few false starts including my water breaking and resealing a few days prior. Bag in hand my mother and I cabbed it to the hospital and i checked in. I wasn't having contractions yet so we weren't in that much of a hurry. After an hour in triage they movedme to a room in the birth center and hooked me up to all the necessary equipment. I fell asleep. An hour later I was woken up as they explained pitocin to me and started a drip. I figured "oh, a way to start my contractions, yippee." This was the beginning of a very long and painful 35 hours of no sleep and intense labor. Not only did I take over 16 hours to dilate past 1.5 centimeters to 3 centimeters but all of a sudden, I needed to push! I couldn't do anything but lay there gasping in pain. I turns out the epidural I didn't want (I opted for IV meds) I wasn't able to have any way due to the four vertebrae in my back affected by spina bifida. So they pushed the numorphine. Twice. The third time was delayed by a resident I had never seen. He was teaching an intern how to place internal monitors on me. Without my consent. Nor was I really aware of what was going on at this point due to the pain of being in labor over 24 hours at this point.

Long story short, the intern screwed up, my labor stalled at 6 centimeters and my cervix swelled shut. My pitocin level was now as high as it could legally go. That's right, they never took me off of it even though i was in full blown labor with  real contractions. By the way, pitocin contractions HURT. Well, after my cervix swelled up, they left me on the pitocin in hopes it would unswell(yeah right guys). One major problem with this. The pain meds STOPPED WORKING after the second dose.

Finally (and this will sound bad) the baby started to become distressed. This was a miracle for me because it meant I was done! They offered me a c section with general anesthesia and I gladly accepted. After all, I was in labor 34 hours at this point and I just wanted to sleep and be done. An hour later they wheeled me into the OR and knocked me flat out.

When I woke up I had a beautiful baby girl and man was she amazing. All those tiny fingers and toes.

This was unfortunately by far not the end of my incredibly painful journey, but the rest will come another day. Just typing about her birth makes me mad enough to choke.I love my little girl but 14 days later I am still bruised from the belly down and I wish she had had an easier passage into life, for both of our sakes.

So long for now, Journal. I shall be back soon.

Add A Comment


Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I am sorry that happened to you. Birthing should be a good experience at the end even if you endure labor pains.   Good luck with your new baby and healthy healing to you. Take it easy for awhile, your body went through a LOT during labor and having major surgery on top of that.   Take care of yourself and let others help you. 

Message Friend Invite

Jul. 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM Hey man i was there i will atest to them being morons! Dont forget to mention how they have her a bottle and caused nipple confusion!

Message Friend Invite

Jul. 25, 2009 at 9:22 AM

The bottle thing is part two and will be comming next time i feel like writing, but I WILL be mentioning it. I don't know if you rememer the doula, but she's going to write a letter of complaint because it really bothered her some of the things they did to me.

Message Friend Invite (Original Poster)

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in