I finally did it! I made my first cloth diaper.
I recently started using cloth diapers for Logan while at home. I have been using the same six BumGenius (all in one) diapers on nights and weekends for a couple of months now. They are really nice, but are a little pricey at $25 per diaper. I want to start using cloth full time, but am not thrilled about making such a huge investment.
From a recent journal on the popular list I found out that it is relatively easy (and inexpensive) to make your own pocket diapers (no cover needed). I invested in a sewing machine, made my own pattern and bought the necessary supplies that I would need. I also joined a diaper sewing group to help me learn some of the basics before I began. A resource from the group gave me the idea to use materials from around the house for the outer fabric and inner stuffing to keep the cost per diaper down.
Last night I sat down and tried my hand at my first diaper. It took me a while since it was my first time sewing. It ended up being a flop! The elastic wasn't doing what it was supposed to, and I used the wrong needle which resulted in missed stitches.
My second try produced a workable diaper, but the elastic was still not right. I referred back to the directions, and realized that I was not supposed to be sewing through the elastic...duh!!
I just finished my third diaper and I am very impressed with it. The stitching turned out okay, and the elastic was a huge improvement from the first two. It is obvious though that I need to improve my general sewing skills. I guess I should probably join a beginner sewing group.
Here are some pictures from my project:
Finished product (interior)
All ready to go!!
Check out some of the top posts today in Groups: