So on a Friday after school my 10 year old asks if she can go to spent the night at a friends house.  Of course I won't tell her No cuz she needs to get away too.  So I take her over there and drop her off.  At 10:30 Saturday morning, I get a phone call from the other girls mother saying my Hope fell out of a tree.  At first I was like "and??" Thinking a small tree big deal right?  WRONG!!  The mom continued, in a calmer than calm voice saying my Hope had a couple scratches on her face and she was bleeding so they called 911.  Still i was thinking it was no big deal because bleeding from the head always looks worse than what it really is.  I hear someone in the background yelling "Please stay awake honey, Please dont fall asleep" over and over again, which is what woke me up to the reality that my baby girl was hurt BAD!  I threw the phone to my 15 yo who was about to babysit for the day, and ran to the front of the house to get my shoes and keys yelling "I gotta go!"  Tyjae and Cassidy (My 20 yo) asked "what happened?"  I yelled "Hope fell from a tree.  I gotta go!"  Cassidy followed me out the door to the car.  We took off driving like 70 MPH in a 30 MPH zone.  Driving up on the scene i froze!  I had to watch my baby girl laying on the ground, blood coming from her nose and mouth, and I could not do anything for her!!  The paramedics were already there trying to calm her down so they could do what they had to do.  I finally walked over to her, pushing my way past an a**hole who said I couldn't go to her, I bent down and knowing if she saw me freaking out, she would freak out even more, I explained to her that she had to stay calm and listen to the paramedics because they knew what would be best for her right now to help her out!  They finally got her onto the gurney and into the ambulance when the lead paramedic walked over to me and informed me that they were Medivacing her to Hershey Medical Center.  I was like, "WHAT?  WHY?" He told me that Hope had been unconscious for a period of time which makes her a pediatric TRAUMA patient and they all get air lifted out to Hershey! I was allowed to sit with her in the ambulance until they transferred her to the gurney for the helicopter.  I had to say my "I will see you later's" to her then so she could be flown the 18 minute flight to Hershey Medical Center.  After watching the helicopter take off, I drive home long enough to grab a change of clothes for myself, and a few things that I knew Hope would appreciate having close to her while in the hospital.  I then had to drive the HOUR to Hershey Medical Center, not knowing what I would walk into when I got there! 

I NEVER thought I would be THAT mom...

THAT mom who actually kept it together and didnt flip out on the parent who was supposed to be watching her child

THAT mom who had to watch others take care of her child because they knew what was best

THAT mom who had to watch her child being flown away in a helicopter to a TRAUMA Hospital

THAT mom who had to drive an hour to see her child again

THAT mom who had what seemed like a hundred different doctors telling her a hundred different things about what has happened to her little girl

THAT mom who couldnt hold her child while doctors worked on her child and her child was screaming in pain

THAT mom who wouldn't leave her child's bedside for anything.....


In the end, my 10 year old daughter ended up with a severe concussion, 2 broken wrists (1 fractured and 1 displaced), 4 broken teeth, a broken nose, and a broken eye socket bone, badly swollen and bruised eyes (both) and the right side of her top lip was swelled and bruised as well.  We spent 3 days in the hospital.  Hope will miss out on 2 months of recess, gym class, and playing her clarinet because of her facial fractures, but I don't care, because AT LEAST MY BABY IS ALIVE!!!  I stayed at the hospital with her.  Her dad and 2 oldest sisters stayed at the Ronald McDonald house across the street from the hospital.  I thank God for the Ronald McDonald House and their purpose!  We will collect tabs for them anyday and make monetary donations when we can because they were there for us when we needed the help!

To this day, my daughters friends mom has NOT called me to ask how Hope is doing.  I don't understand some people these days!


I did take my daughter over to that friends house to pick up her stuff from that overnight stay.  My daughter still had bruising and swelling on her face from the fall, and the mom looked at her like she was an alien, like one of those "EWWW!" looks.  That pissed me off even more, so at this point I have nothing to say to this woman and have told my Hope that she will NEVER go to that house again!

I do have great insurance that told me that all I will have to pay is my $500 deductible, then 100% of everything else related to her recovery will be covered!!  That God for that!!  I have never even thought about a lawsuit against this woman, because she lives in low income housing and my daughter said she doesnt even have a job, so its not like i would get anything from her anyway so why bother!!

  Besides, the IMPORTANT thing is that my baby is ALIVE!!  Her recovery is going great, the casts will be off in just over a week, and the only limitations for her them will be no gym or recess or rough playing until after Christmas!!

Add A Comment


Nov. 13, 2010 at 7:32 PM

How scary!!!  I'm glad she's okay.  I can't believe the other mother hasn't even bothered to call.  That infuriates me.

Message Friend Invite

Nov. 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Tell me about it!  The girls step-mom called when the dad and her picked the girl up that afternoon from the moms.  Pretty sad when someone who wasnt even around is the one to call and check on my baby!!

Message Friend Invite (Original Poster)

Nov. 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I am so sorry for your daughter but thankful she is alive and well. I cannot believe the mother has not called to check on her. Yall are in my prayers..

Message Friend Invite

Nov. 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM

wow i hope shes home with u. what tabs can i collect to send to ronald macdonald house

Message Friend Invite

Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:10 AM

any can tabs (soda can, beer can).  just pop the tab off and save them.  it usually take a while to save alot but any amount helps.  You can either mail them in or if you have a local one you can bring them in. i wish bars would save them from their cans!!

Message Friend Invite (Original Poster)

Nov. 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Maybe the other mom is scared of what you will say or what happened after she left. Im sure she feels terrible. It definitely doesn't excuse her not calling but there could be a reason. Im so glad your daughters ok. Ive been in a similar situation and its terrible!!!!! All those feeling coming at you not knowing whats going to happen if things are ever going to be normal again. Im sorry you all had to go through that! Ugh its good shes ok.

Message Friend Invite

Nov. 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM Oh my gosh..your poor little girl. I am so glad she is ok aside from those awful injuries. And proud of you, momma, for being so amazing during everything! Never mind the friend's mom..she might think it's a bad idea to call, worried that you'll freak out on her? Maybe you should call her..extend an olive branch. Doesn't hurt to try. =] Best wishes to you and your strong daughter!

Message Friend Invite

Nov. 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

i am so glad she is okay!!!!!!!!!! what the hell is wrong with that other mom???

Message Friend Invite

Nov. 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Ha, I just named a journal entry almost the exact same as yours. :)

Message Friend Invite

Nov. 14, 2010 at 4:29 PM

could be that the mom is scared your might sue her or make her pay part of the bills for the hosp and choper both are going to be big unless you have insurance.

Message Friend Invite

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in