• In the Spotlight:

Is This Popular Procedure Dangerous?
botox

Botox stands for "Clostridium botulinum type A neurotoxin complex," and is after plutonium, the most potent poison known to humans.

In 1970, Alan Scott, a San Francisco ophthalmologist, first discovered the ability of botulinum toxin to relax certain muscles. Soon enough scientists realized that it could be used in cosmetology, and since then “beauty injections” have become one of the most popular anti-wrinkle weapon.

Botox is made from part of the same family of poisons as botulism, a common cause of fatal food poisoning. Botox is potent enough to potentially kill anybody. However, if it is used under controlled doses, it is usually safe.

However, in some cases, the toxin has spread to other parts of the body with serious consequences, such as paralysis of respiratory muscles and difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), the latter possibly leading to food or liquids entering the respiratory tract and lungs, causing aspiration pneumonia. Unforuntately, some have even died from the usage of botox.

Read the rest here

Add A Comment

Comments:

Be the first to add a comment below.
Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in