Logan Sidney Byers was bor on 11/6/2010 at 6:54pm. He weighed 2lbs 11ozs and was 17 inches long. Logan wasn't actually supposed to be here until January 20, 2011, but because of complications he came early. Here is the story of what happened and why he's here already, the part that I can remember. 

On 11/4 I was admitted to the hospital for swelling and low fetal movement. I was monitored and tested for 24 hours for preeclampsia and high blood pressure. My blood pressure went up and down the whole time I was in the hospital, my blood work came back okay and my 24 hour urine test came back with the protien marker for preeclampsia but it wasn't high enough to deliver Logan then. I was released from Maury Regional Hospital on 11/5, on full bed rest. I woke up on 11/6 not feeling well, my swelling had gone down some but I was still in a lot of pain. My whole pelvic area hurt, because Logan had already started to drop, my back ached because I couldn't get comfortable anymore and I had a strange pressure on my neck and head all day. I stayed either in bed or in a chair as much as possible that day, but I could tell that something just wasn't right. Around 5:30 that evening Brandon, Casey and my dad went to get dinner for all of us. When they came home, we all ate, and I was the first to finish. I threw my trash away and as I was walking back past the dinning room table I felt that I needed to go to the restroom, again. So I began to head towards the hallway, when it felt like I suddenly lost bladder control... but it wasn't urine running down my legs... it was blood. My placenta had seperated from my uterus, pushing me into early labor. I quickly walked down the hall to the bathroom to prevent any other blood from getting on the floor. I was in a panic at this point, and the only thing on my mind was that I was going to lose my son. My father immediatly called 911 and had an ambulance on the way. After some time of being asked questions and other things that had to be done, I was rushed to Maury Regional Hospital where I was quickly rushed to the OR and delivered Logan via emergency c-section. A few hours after he was delivered, I woke up and thankfully got to see him before he was transported to Vanderbilt Hospital. Less than 24 hours after delivery, Logan was off the ventilator and breathing oxygen on his own.

Logan is currently at Vanderbilt in the NICU and doing very well. The doctors think Logan can be down at Maury Regional Hospital in the next two weeks or so and hopfully be home by Christmas.

Add A Comment


Nov. 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM

My daughter, Ava, was born 10 weeks early due to pre-eclampsia.  She was 2lbs 7oz, but went down to just 2lbs her first week of life.  She was in the NICU for 33 days.  We brought her home when she weighed just 3lbs 14oz.  I just wanted to tell you - she is now five years old and a picture of health.  You and your little one are in my thoughts!

Message Friend Invite

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in