Thursday night (Jan 6th) had an upset stomach. Started having contractions around 11 pm. They were consistent, but I'd been having contractions that would be consistent for a few hours and stop (for the past 5 weeks!). So I didn't rush to call DH home from work or anything. I had been dilated to 5-6 centimeters for nearly a month already and had been admitted to L&D twice and released because I would not progress further. I didn't want to go in again just to be let down. I drank some water, took a bath. Still was having them but figured I would try and sleep through them. I fell asleep around 3-3:15 am. On and off for a bit, then maybe a half hour of uninterrupted sleep. DH had gotten home about this time.

3:50 am. Woke up with AWFUL pain.

Couldn't breathe, couldn't talk. Between contractions I had maybe a 45 second break. During that time I kept yelling "I can't do this!! I want drugs!!" Lol. My back was on fire, all the pain was concentrated there. I could not find any position that was comfortable. Squatting, all fours, sitting, standing. Nothing. (Pretty sure I was in transition LOL). Contractions seemed to last forever!!

We woke my 3 year old up, got him in the car, I didn't even want to move. I sat on the toilet til everyone else was ready because it was the "most comfortable" position I could find. We left the house about 4:05. So not much time had passed since I woke up. Though a lot had happened!

DH called his parents to see if we could drop Gage off. However, that would take an extra 20 minutes on top of the twenty minutes it takes to get to the hospital. I told him I didn't have an extra 20 minutes and I wanted the hospital now. My parents are on the way to the hospital so I called them. At first I asked to drop him off, then called back and said screw it, meet us at the hospital. My mom said later she had a feeling by how I sounded that we wouldn't make it in time ;) About 4:10 it felt like there was no relief from the contractions. I was shaking, my back was on fire, I felt like I was being stabbed with knives. I was praying just to get to the hospital. At 4:15 I told DH "I feel like I need to push! Pull over!" Well, he didn't. Lol. I wanted to push SOOOOO BAD!!! Just the thought of it was relieving! And somewhere close to 4:20 am, 5 minutes from the hospital I had the biggest contraction of my life. It went on and on and on. I couldn't stop from pushing. I didn't have that choice. I HAD too. I felt my water break, and almost immediately I felt her head pop out. I told DH and he was like "oh shit. Are you serious?!" I grabbed my pants and pulled them down. Good thing I was wearing jammies. I felt her head, and she slid out the rest of the way. I grabbed her and brought her to my chest and rubbed her back. I had been lying kind of on my side, grabbing the "oh shit handle" and when I started pushing brought one leg up on the dash. She started breathing so I was very relieved. We called 911 and they patched us to the ER so they were ready when we got there a few minutes later. My son had brought a blanket from his room, so we used that to wrap her in. They took us up to labor and delivery to check our vitals and cut the cord and deliver the placenta. I had planned on a natural birth, just not quite like that. :)

Adelaide Victoria Diane was born at 4:20am January 7th 2011 in the front seat of a 2005 Nissan Sentra. :)

We are both doing just fine. She nursed right away, her blood sugar has stayed good, she shows no signs of Group B, her blood tests came back normal. Besides the uterine contractions post partum I feel good. I tore a tiny bit. Had I been in a better birthing position I may not have. Lmao.

In spite of the pain, it didn't last long. And when she was born, I felt everything but it honestly felt almost euphoric. Like an out of body experience. I don't remember feeling pain from the time my water broke until we got to the hospital. It was just like the world stood still for that moment. It was a little scary, amazing and totally NOT what I expected. Lol. But I did it naturally, unassisted and we are both here and happy. People are shocked when they hear my story and the reaction is usually "I'm so glad you guys are ok!" But my body knew what to do and so did Adelaide. It showed me how amazing womens bodies are and how birth is truly a miracle. It was an amazing experience for me. Honestly? I'd do it again if I had to. Next time will be at home though if there is a next time. :)

And I got my wish. No IV. Lol.

The day we got home (2 days old)

Now, 6 months later.


Add A Comment


Jan. 27, 2011 at 11:26 PM

you rockWow !  What an amazing birth story! She's beautiful!

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM

congratulationswow thats one amazing birth story . congrats im glad your both doing well and she is such a doll .

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Congrats!!! Adelaide was my grandmother's name; she's going to be a fine young woman!

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 28, 2011 at 6:09 PM

congratslations im happy you and your baby girl is doing very good

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Very cool!!!


Message Friend Invite

Mar. 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM Wow, what an amazing story!!

Message Friend Invite

Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Awesome birth story :) Beautiful little girl

Message Friend Invite

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in