When I shockingly became pregnant with my second child at 17, even being a child still (having a child again, I know), I knew I could not have another c-section. There was just no way I could handle that again. I did not know what to expect from labor but I knew it couldn't possibly be as bad as recovering from a c-section. So I told my ob my plans and he laughed of course. He did not like the idea but he did not refuse...honestly, I think he was hoping he would convince me otherwise within the amount of time he had. So he attempted to talk me out of it numerous times but I was adamant.

When I began having contractions at the start of my third trimester, yet again, I think they got tired of me. I was in and out of the hospital every week with contractions 3-5 minutes apart and slowly dilating (VERY slowly). They gave me every drug you could think of to stop my contractions. The first few times they worked but at 36 weeks 3 days nothing did. They attempted 3 different drugs to make them stop and they just wouldn't. So the doctor told me to wait until I was 37 weeks and he would induce me...well, the day I would be 37 weeks just so happened to be Christmas day. No way in hell was I going to be at the hospital on Christmas having a baby. So he agreed to induce me the next morning and of course, by the time I got home that night my contractions had stopped, kind of funny looking back on it now.

The next morning we had Christmas morning early and unwrapped all our gifts, then got ready to go have a baby. By 8:30 we arrived at the hospital and they started me on pitocin, which now I know is incredibly STUPID while attempting a VBAC. I truly believe the doctor was trying to sabotage my VBAC in doing so, seeing as though I was a young, stupid teenager that didn't know what she wanted or what she was doing (sense the sarcasm). Anyways, his plan didn't work so well but he did manage to ruin my labor anyways. After they broke my water my contractions became so painful and intense (which I was never informed pitocin makes much worse) I received the epidural. All was well until I felt the urge to push. The doctor was informed and arrived to deliver my baby but I knew something was wrong. Not only did I feel the urge to push but I felt EVERYTHING, from the contractions to the burning, to the ring of fire everyone speaks of. I was in complete shock. I had no idea why I could feel SO much pain, I thought the epidural was suppose to help the pain. It did not help AT ALL. After screaming at the top of my lungs, bloody murder (that is no exaggeration), shouting obscenities, and hollering "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow"..."It hurts, it hurts, it hurts"...and "Why does it burn??!!!" I guess it occurred to the doctor that my epidural was not working. I remember him telling the nurse to increase something and then he grabbed a pair of scissors. Thank GOD my beautiful baby girl popped right on out at that moment because I did not tear one bit...Jerk.

Anyways, my recovery of course was better than the c-section's, but I REALLY was not expecting my epidural to not work. It was an incredibly traumatizing thing to go through. Not the pain, but just not knowing what was going on, and being scared and confused and helpless. That doctor was not there for me one bit. He couldn't wait to be rid of me. Thank the lord my little girl came out perfectly healthy which you wouldn't have believed because they took off with her for 6 HOURS after birth. I hadn't even held her. They told me it would be 2. The dishonesty is shocking really. Looking back I wish I hadn't been so clueless.

Add A Comment


Be the first to add a comment below.
Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in