There are days that nobody forgets.  The day they got married, the day they found out they were going to be a parent for the first time, the day their child was born.  On March 9, 2011, I got to add a day to my list, the day I should have died.

It was a cold day with snow and a little ice on the ground.  I bundled up my six month old and my three year old and we took my five year old to school.  I was told to wait, but trying to be a good wife and let my husband sleep, I went to the store anyways.  On our way home my three year old dropped his treat and started fussing.  I knew I couldn't reach them, so I told him he had to wait until we got home.

That is the last thing I remember.

I woke up on the eleventh, I think, to a nurse and my husband pumping the milk out of my breasts.  The first thing I remember hearing is the nurse telling me that I didn't need to breastfeed anymore.  I don't remember how that ended, quite possibly with me passing back out.  I vaguely remember talking to a male nurse that I seemed to get along with well because we were joking around.

My next memory is being transferred out of the ICU and into the trauma unit on the thirteenth.  I am slightlymore aware of things at this point.  I apparently knew about what was wrong and what was going on while in the ICU, but I don't remember any of it.  I even posted on Facebook.  While I do remember the trauma unit, it is still pretty fuzzy. 

I was transferred to the orthopedic surgery unit on the fifteenth and those first few days are a bit fuzzy too.  I was also starting to become more aware of what was all wrong with me.

I had cracked ribs, vertebral processes, pelvis, and my right kneecap.  I broke my right femur, toes and other foot bones, and destroyed my left tibia and fibula.  I also had a lacerated liver and crushed nerve in my left foot.  I had a rod and a nail put into my femur.  My tibia and fibula have what my dad calls an erector set put in to hold my pieces of bone together.  Because the bones shredded my muscle and skin covering the shin, I need to have a calf muscle moved to the front and skin grafting.  They also had to sew one of my toenails back into the nail bed so it will grow back.

A few days later, on the eighteenth, I had to go back in for more plastic surgery to get rid of dead tissue on my left leg.  My memory after this surgery is much better than everything before it.  I was able to get up and practice standing and pivoting to a chair on my broken femur.

The next week I was transferred to the rehab unit to get me ready to go home.  I had to learn how to do basic things from a wheelchair and how to walk a little bit.  I came home two weeks later on April 8.

I am in my home, but I am not at home yet.  I have had to learn how to take care of my 8 month old.  I can't get out of my apartment building myself because I can't carry my wheelchair down the stairs.  I have to give my 8 month old formula, the most heart wrenching part for me.  My 8 month old was born 11 weeks early and getting him to only breastfeed was the best part after struggling when we brought him home from the NICU.

My husband has told me the reason the nurse said I didn't have to breastfeed anymore was because I kept asking about when I could breastfeed.  I was more worried about feeding my baby than I was about my own body healing.  While I am working on getting my baby off of formula and back onto breastmilk, it has been hard.  My body uses a lot of energy for healing and getting in and out of my wheelchair to walk or take care of my kids.

I have been out of the hospital for three weeks and I am doing physical therapy to walk again.  I have been to see my orthopedic surgeon and found out I need to have bone grafting done to replace big gaps of bone or I won't be able to walk on my left leg again.  I am only 25 and I never would have imagined my life changing so much, so fast, so soon.

March 9, 2011, is quite possibly the worst day of my life.  A head-on collision is the worst thing to happen to me.  Waiting for the final police report to be done to tell me if I am the reason a woman lost her life is the worst wait.

Add A Comment


Apr. 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM

oh hunny I am so sorry you are going through so much! I wish Ihad words to comfort you. Concentrat on healing and getting strong again for you husband and kids.

Message Friend Invite

Apr. 30, 2011 at 8:12 PM

This is such a heart wrenching story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Message Friend Invite

Apr. 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM

God Bless you and yours.  hugs

Message Friend Invite

Apr. 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM I cried reading this. Stay strong!

Message Friend Invite

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in