Okay, so once again the government is sooo full of crap it isn't funny. My son gets SSI for being blind and having seizures. Now they are taking 10% because of "overpayment" but can't explain to me what it is. Now, they decided to UP his check but still say we owe... Confused??? yeah me to. So in Nov. 07 they sent a letter "explaining" it. But guess what?? They sent it to the WRONG address and I knew nothing about it. Wanna hear something better??? I only have 90 days to appeal it.!!! Once again our great Government!!!! I know, I'll cross the border, become a citizen of another country, sneak back in illegally and then get everything paid for!!!!!  Sounds like a plan!!!! Anyone wanna help?? (i'm really just kidding in case anyone is reading this that i shouldn't say that to)... sorry again for venting ya'll!!!


Add A Comment


Jan. 2, 2008 at 10:55 AM

I think that when you appeal it, if you tell them itll be a financial burden if they take the money out of your check, they will not take the money owed.... especially if it wasnt your mistake. that happened to a family memeber in the past, they didnt have to repay the money.... so it doesnt hurt to try!

as for living here illegally, i hear ya!

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 2, 2008 at 10:59 AM Kandie...being an individual on SSD myself...I'm fully aware of how screwed up things can get with thier system....Did you change your addy or your sons addy with ssi? Did you move?  The fact that they sent it to the wrong address..if you had changed the address with them , is reason enough to extend the 90 day appeal process!!  So call your local office and let them know..Did you keep anything that shows you notified them by chance?  I know it's a screwed up system...but, in one defense statement..if I had not worked my butt off, since I was 12, (lied about my age, way back when and obtained a SS card so I could waitress when I was in junior high) when I was assaulted and completely disabled...all that money I paid into the system..has come back to me!!  I know they're a pain in the buttt  to deal with...especially when you get a nasty worker who doesn't like thier job...but be relentless with them....and call your Federal Senator that's in charge of the SSI and SSD claims...believe me...you'll see some changes then!!  Good luck!!

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Oh I know,My brother is 10-years old and has Cerebral Palsy. He gets a check from Social Security every month(i think)and the amount he gets depends on how much my mom and stepdad make.WTF!!!!So my stepdad's better off sitting home on his butt(which doesn't do)but you see my point.So he is supposed to suffer because my parents have to work?!That's our wonderful government for ya.

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM

hehe thanks!!! I'll try! The only thing I'm worried aobut now is the fact that I only have 90 days to appeal!

Message Friend Invite (Original Poster)

Jan. 2, 2008 at 5:09 PM That's how it works. I told his dad to quit trying to get overtime just to work the normal 40hrs a week, because when he gets overtime, they look at gross income and it hurts us more than it helps us. I have made several calls changing my address. I don't have written proof, but his January check I just found out went to the old addy too,  from Aug-December, we got it at the new address, but Jan went to the old one. I called Social Security and they told me "we have the new address in our records. It shouldn't have went to the old one" but it did.. lol I'm calling them again tomorrow to MAKE SURE!!!!

Message Friend Invite (Original Poster)

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in