well my baby is a walker!

Bad news is she takes off quicker than i can catch her.

she seen me coming after her 2 nights ago and took off across the living room. we have an older house that has a wall heater. .....yup, you guessed it. She grabbed a hold of it. (more like touched it..but still. :-(  )  Poor baby. right as soon as i grabbed her up she touched it. screamed and screamed and screamed. i inspected her. tryingt o make sure it was just her hand. (at this point her whole boy was bright red from screaming,,,so it was hard to tell) i rushed her to the emergency room.... where we sat for 3 hours before anyone even looked at her. when we finally got in she was sleeping. (i gave her infant tylenol as soon as she calmed down enough to swallow it)  Well, she had 3 little blisters on the palm of her hand.... they CUT them open!! :-/ Grrrr.. it was the HARDEST thing i've had to experience. (it hurt me more that giving birth to her!) i cryed. they put on some antibiotic cream and wrapped it up. sent us home with a rx for tylenol with codine, ibuprofin, and some of the cream they used...plus gave us everything they used that was opened..(sterile water..gauze pads..wraps)

well i took her to her doctor the next morning...this is where i got a little pissed off.... as soon as he looks at it her says "wow, i would not have cut them open. That just makes them more prone to infection." he continued to say that if they were left closed it would have healed inside and when they poped on their own, infection wouldnt be a concern.  he also said no one does that anymore... our nurse came in to re-dress her hand.. she gave me ace bandages ( and told us that the wrap and tape that the e.r had put on can cause further irritation) and some non-stick pads (and said the ones we had from the e.r were going to stick and the only way to get em off is to run warm water on it..and would burn)

she did good the whole time we were in HER doctors office..didnt cry once...they said they were even surprised. although- i feel like a piece of shit...shes a quick little sucker.. i usually dont let her play in the living room..we baby proofed..but there are still things she can get too in there.. i moved all her toys to her room and put up a gate in the door so she can see out..but she throws a fit. shes only alowed in the living room if shes in her walker.(or confined some how.) or if someone is down on the floor playing with her.

hubby said he could build something to block the heater somehow. i had the idea of a fire place insert or something like that to block it off. all i know is we need to do something.

~feeling like the worst mom in the whole world....

thanks for listening..and if this...or anything like this..has happend to any of you...let me know... so i dont feel alone in this. i know it is a huge part my fault. but accidents happen right?

oh, also...the codine they prescribed..havent used it...she doesnt even act like shes in pain.. shes smiling and playing like normal..so im not gonna give her medicine she doesnt need. if she acts like she needs something i have regular infant tylenol...(also they prescribed ibuprofin.....but i didnt like what the paper said about side effects.. so im weary on using it.)

Add A Comment

Comments:

Solie...
Feb. 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM OMG! You poor poor woman! Thank God I haven't had to go through nething like this....yet! (knock on wood) I think because God Knows I couldn't handle it! You handled it great though!!!!! Good Job! Don't trip girl! It could have been soooo much worse! When my lil bro was a toddler he drank BLEACH!!!!! Thank God we had one of those faucets that you can pull out  and spray....my mom shoved it down his throat! If she hadn't or we had a regular faucet he would be eating out of a tube in his belly today! You did great! Good Job!

Message Friend Invite

Solie...
Feb. 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM Oh! About that Emergency Room you should totally call and complain or try to find a number where you can go over their heads! That pisses me off!!!!!!!! Do something about that! and/or never go there again! ASSHOLES!

Message Friend Invite

potty...
Feb. 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM
this stuff happens... christian was playing naked yesterday with a dvd box and he smashed his wee wee in it to him to the er and sat for an hour and then after that they sent me to urgent care so i know how your feeling oh.. i was so irrated dont worry i hope she gets better fast!!

Message Friend Invite

Hayle...
Feb. 1, 2008 at 8:18 PM

thanks alot you guys!

Shes doing really good. im so happy. i just keep telling myself it could have been a millions times worse.

but i think its built in us moms to feel responsible for everything that our kids have to go through.....

and feel their pain as well.

i dont know what im gonna do when some jerk boy breaks her heart years down the road.

Message Friend Invite (Original Poster)

coekid
Feb. 1, 2008 at 10:57 PM Oh I am so sorry...but accidents happen and they are called accidents for a reason.   I hope she gets well soon.  If you decide to give her the tylenol with codeine, it might make her consitpated. What hospital did you take her to? 

Message Friend Invite

mom2t...
Feb. 2, 2008 at 1:00 AM Don't feel bad- like you said accidents happen! I've been through more than my fair share with my four kids. We've had three broken arms, stitches in a foot, and a broken thumb just in the last 18 months! That is so horrible when the ER does stupid stuff like that and makes it potentially worse. Did you take her to Lodi Memorial? The more I hear about that place the less I want to ever set foot in there again! I'm glad she is doing good- the bandage is probably bugging her more than the burn huh? My son kept trying to unwrap his splint before we got his cast on- drove me crazy worrying about him taking it off and making his arm worse.

Message Friend Invite

Hayle...
Feb. 2, 2008 at 5:00 AM ya we went to lodi memorial. gosh im really starting to hate that place. and as we were sitting there for 3 + hours.. i realized how dirty it actually is. i had plenty of time to check out the walls stuff. it was kinda nasty.

Message Friend Invite (Original Poster)

hopef...
Feb. 2, 2008 at 11:39 AM My oldest daughter was so accident prone that even her DR told me it wouldnt suprise him if she was seriously wounded doing crazy baby tricks. My 2 yr old son stands on the TOP of the kitchen table when I walk out of the room. The WORST one was that he stood on TOP of his dresser and screamed until I came to get him down. Dont worry...kids are crazy, some doctors are stupid, and all mothers should be on drugs! (perscription ones that is :-0)

Message Friend Invite

Bundl...
Feb. 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM Poor baby!! I feel so bad this happened to her little hand and i can imagine how your freaked out. I would have freaked out too. This can happen to anyone and i dont see it as your fault really. All you can do is watch so she doesnt get it next time. Just keep a close eye on the burns and stuff and give her plenty of love. love cures alot :o)

Message Friend Invite

Bundl...
Feb. 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM oh and my friends baby who is now 2 years old falls ALOT and he's always getting bumps and bruises poor boy. I told his mom (my best friend) maybe we should get him a helmet. He's always getting injured by tripping on his own two feet. He just learned to walk when he was like around one and he falls alot when he's sleepy so see kids will be kids. relax.

Message Friend Invite

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in