Description:
I would wait until about 18 months to 2 years old just to be on the safe side of the isle on this honey issue. This is a dangerous thing that most mothers may not even know. I hope this helps to raise awareness to those moms who might not know. Most bought jars of honey have the warning of not giving honey to babies before their 1st year on them. Problem is, that the warnings are not large enough to see.

How many of you honestly knew that you ABSOLUTELY cannot give an infant honey before their 1st year? It can cause brain damage and death. It's called botulism. Go to CarefulParents.com Seafood is another no-no.

  • Yes, I knew.

    73%
  • No, I didn't have a clue.

    20%
  • I heard about it before, but didn't know if it was true or not.

    6%
Take the poll to see moms who voted like you.
Take Poll
environmen...
Submitted by at 11:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2008
Votes (134) Comments (19)

How many of you honestly knew that you ABSOLUTELY cannot give an infant honey before their 1st year? It can cause brain damage and death. It's called botulism. Go to CarefulParents.com Seafood is another no-no.

Take the poll to see moms who voted like you.
I prefer not to answer
Show me the results first
environmen...
Submitted by at 11:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2008
Votes (134) Comments (19)

Comments

  • Pauline328...
    Submitted by   at 9:13 AM on December 13, 2008

    The same goes for Karo Syrup. Most mothers can't know that becasue they reccomend it to people for baby constipation.

  • RanaAurora
    Submitted by   at 3:28 PM on December 13, 2008

    7% of people didn't know their baby could die from eating honey? Eek.

  • alc030
    Submitted by   at 5:15 PM on December 13, 2008

    I just looked at the honey jar and it says it on the label. I already knew, but I'm glad you posted this cuz I'm sure a lot of women don't know!

  • Shannon85
    Submitted by   at 6:02 PM on December 13, 2008

    i didnt know....but why would i give my young child honey anyway.... so now i know and im glad that i know not to give it to them just by instinct or something. but that is crazy.

  • environmen...
    Submitted by   at 9:13 PM on December 13, 2008

    Well, I hoped to let those who didn't know to be aware of it.

  • learae
    Submitted by   at 9:23 PM on December 13, 2008

    actually i thought it was 2 years before you could let them have honey

  • learae
    Submitted by   at 9:26 PM on December 13, 2008

    mayoclinic.com is great!

    Yes, honey can cause infant botulism. Honey is a known source of bacterial spores that produce Clostridium botulinum bacteria. When ingested by infants, these bacteria make a toxin that can cause infant botulism, a rare and serious form of food poisoning. For this reason, infants under 12 months of age should never be fed honey.

    Infant botulism affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Most babies with infant botulism, however, do recover. Signs and symptoms of infant botulism include:

    * Persistent constipation
    * Floppy arms, legs and neck
    * Weak cry due to muscle weakness
    * Weak sucking and poor feeding
    * Tired all the time (lethargy)
    * Difficulty breathing

    Botulism spores may also be found in low-acid home-canned foods and corn syrup. For this reason, you should avoid feeding these foods to infants.

  • lipstickcl...
    Submitted by   at 4:19 AM on December 14, 2008

    Almost every book about kid's health I read before my first child was born mentioned that, so I did know. I have never noticed a warning on honey though, so it's scary to think some people might not have heard that.

  • lalasha
    Submitted by   at 11:26 PM on December 14, 2008

    it depends on the sea food most fresh water fish are ok they want you to watch out for the mercury in fish

  • cmarielin
    Submitted by   at 10:32 AM on December 16, 2008

    Interesting, I'd never heard that before.

Please Login to comment on this item.