We all know the holiday season is big on cheer... and calories.
Check out these healthier options for holiday foods.
...instead of Honey Baked Ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3/4 pounds beef tenderloin, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- Combine 2 teaspoons thyme, salt, pepper, and allspice in a small bowl. Rub mixture evenly over all sides of beef. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and
refrigerate 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook for 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
Transfer beef to a roasting rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in roasting pan. Bake at 400° for 26 minutes or until a thermometer registers
135° or desired degree of doneness. Remove from oven, and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Pour brandy into roasting pan, scraping pan to
loosen browned bits; set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat skillet with cooking spray. Add shallots to skillet; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add
brandy mixture, broth, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme to skillet, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; simmer until reduced to 1 cup (about 4 minutes).
Serve with beef.